April 6, 2023
Exploring Midwest and Great Plains for an Unforgettable Vacation
If you are looking for an unforgettable vacation experience, look no further. This region is full of hidden gems and surprises waiting to be discovered by the adventurous traveler.
Here’s a guide to four featured small towns that are worth visiting:
- Cuba, a short drive west of St. Louis is a place where you can explore its historic downtown district.
- Boone in the heart of Iowa is a small town known for its rich history and friendly atmosphere.
- Beloit sits at the Illinois and Wisconsin border, it has a unique charm in this classic Midwest small town.
- Canyon, Texas brings a taste of old-west Texas and is very welcoming to visitors.
Cuba – Explore its Historic Downtown District
Take a stroll down the streets and admire the beautiful historic buildings, some of which date back to the late 1800s.Make sure to snap a photo with the town’s famous murals featuring local history and landmarks. Cuba, Missouri’s downtown district is the perfect place to step back in time and discover its unique and fascinating history.
Calling all visitors to Cuba, Missouri! Did you know that this charming small town is home to some seriously interesting facts?
- For starters, did you know that reputed outlaw Jesse James once used Cuba as a hideout?
- And don’t miss the world’s smallest hot air balloon festival, held right here in Cuba every August.
- Looking for something a little spookier? Check out the historic Wagon Wheel Motel, rumored to be haunted by the ghosts of former guests.
- And finally, be sure to snap a photo with the town’s beloved mascot, a friendly giant Route 66 Rocker statue.
Boone – A Small Town with Rich History and Friendly Atmosphere
Boone, Iowa might be a small town, but it’s got a big personality! From exploring the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad to hiking through Ledges State Park, there’s something for everyone.
Did You Know?
Boone, Iowa is a hidden gem that’s just waiting to be explored! Whether you’re planning to visit for the first time or you’re a returning visitor, there are a few interesting facts that you should know to make your trip even more exciting.
- Did you know that Boone is the birthplace of the Union Pacific Railroad? That’s right – this charming city played a significant role in the transportation industry and you can even visit the historic train depot and park.
- The city of Boone is home to the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace Museum which offers a fascinating glimpse into the life and times of the former First Lady.
- Boone is known for its beautiful scenery and scenic byways with ample opportunities for hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities.
Lastly, Boone is also home to the famous Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad which offers leisurely sightseeing trips aboard vintage trains.
Beloit Wisconsin – Unique Charm in a Classic Midwest Small Town
Welcome to Beloit, where you can experience the unique charm of a classic Midwest small town. Take a stroll on the riverfront, catch a game at the historic Pohlman Field, or explore the beauty of Beloit College’s campus.
An Adventure Awaits
- For starters, did you know that Beloit is home to the world’s largest can of chili?
- The city is also known for its historic architecture, boasting some of the most beautiful Victorian homes in the Midwest.
- And if you’re a nature lover, you’ll be happy to know that Beloit has over 300 acres of park land for you to explore.
- Lastly, indulge in crispy Beloit-style pizza.
Canyon – Taste of Old-West Texas Natural Attractions
Looking for a taste of the old West? This vibrant town offers a variety of natural attractions that will transport you back in time to the days of cowboys and cattle drives.
A Wild Ride in Texas
Are you planning a trip to the city of Canyon, Texas? Get ready for a wild ride!
- Did you know that Canyon is home to the world-renowned Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum? It boasts one of the largest collections of Western artifacts and is a must-visit for history buffs. But wait, there’s more!
- Canyon is also home to the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, the second-largest canyon in the United States.
- Did you also know that the “TEXAS” musical drama is held at the Palo Duro Canyon Amphitheater every summer?
- Canyon is home to West Texas A&M University, which boasts a state-of-the-art planetarium.
Visitor Center City of Boone
Spring Market – April 22nd at Boone County Fairgrounds
A great early August festival in Boone, Iowa is Pufferbilly Days
Visitor Center City of Cuba
Cuba Fest is an autumn festival with trolley tours of the historic murals
Visitor Center City of Beloit
Spring Wine Walk happening on April 22nd Downtown
Visitor Center – City of Canyon
Balloon Festival at Horseshoe Bay Resort April 7-9
Average April High Temperatures degree F
Boone IA 60
Beloit WI 58
Canyon TX 73
Cuba MO 66
United States Census Bureau
Cuba, MO. 3,181
Boone, IA 12,460
Beloit, WI. 36,657
Canyon, TX. 14,836
Population Per Square Mile
Cuba, MO. 1035
Boone, Iowa 1372
Canyon TX. 1889
Beloit, WI. 2115
From the small-town charm of Boone to the breathtaking views of Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Canyon. From Cuba to city of Beloit and everywhere in between, Flyover Country is ready and waiting for you!