Planning a summer vacation for a person with dementia requires careful consideration to ensure an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. By understanding their needs and abilities, we can create a dementia-friendly vacation that promotes comfort, engagement, and lasting memories. Here are practical tips to make your summer vacation dementia-friendly:
Schedule activities wisely: Plan outings and activities during the person’s best time of day, when they are most alert and engaged. This will maximize their enjoyment and participation.
Choose familiar destinations: Opt for places the person with dementia is familiar with or has visited before. Familiar surroundings reduce confusion and anxiety, making them feel more at ease.
Maintain a balanced and familiar diet: Stick to familiar foods and mealtimes as much as possible. A balanced diet can positively impact mood and overall well-being.
Be flexible and patient: Understand that plans may need to change or adapt based on the person’s needs and comfort level. Patience is key in ensuring a stress-free vacation for everyone.
Essential items: Carry identification, travel plans, medication, and emergency contact information at all times. This provides peace of mind and ensures safety throughout the trip.
Engage in meaningful activities: Include activities that the person with dementia enjoys and can comfortably participate in. This fosters a sense of purpose and connection.
Dementia-friendly accommodations: Look for accommodations that are dementia-friendly, offering quiet spaces for relaxation and retreat if the person becomes overwhelmed or agitated.
Seek support: Reach out to local dementia organizations or support groups at your destination. They can offer guidance, resources, and recommendations for a dementia-friendly experience.
Practice self-care: Remember to prioritize your own well-being. Taking breaks, seeking respite care, and involving other family members or friends can help lighten the caregiving load and ensure a more enjoyable vacation for everyone.
Embrace the moment: Treasure the present and focus on creating meaningful memories. Engage in simple pleasures like walks, listening to music, or sharing stories that can bring joy and connection.
By considering these tips and prioritizing the person’s comfort and needs, you can create a dementia-friendly summer vacation that allows your loved one to enjoy the experience while providing peace of mind for both of you. Remember, it’s through thoughtful planning and flexibility that we can create lasting and meaningful moments together.
Sponsored by Right at Home of Fox Valley and Chicago SW Suburbs
-  https://www.alegrecare.com/single-post/2017/11/30/holiday-activities-that-help-with-dementia-symptoms
-  https://www.alz.org/help-support/caregiving/safety/traveling
-  https://www.ourparents.com/senior-health/traveling-with-alzheimers
-  https://dementiaadventure.org/holidays/
-  https://www.alznj.org/summer-travel-tips-people-living-alzheimers-disease-dementia/
-  https://www.alz.org/help-support/resources/kids-teens/50-activities
-  https://alzfdn.org/tips-for-traveling/
-  https://multiculturalcaregiving.net/dementia-friendly-hotels/
-  https://brainmattersresearch.com/summer-travel-tips-with-alzheimers-and-dementia/
-  https://dailycaring.com/6-ways-to-adapt-holiday-activities-for-seniors-with-alzheimers/
-  https://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/blog/lessons-learned-traveling-dementia
-  https://www.elitecruisesandvacationstravel.com/dementia-friendly-cruise.html
-  https://www.beingpatient.com/dementia-adventure-planning-vacation-alzheimers/
-  https://www.weatherlyinn.com/en-us/resources/holiday-activities-for-seniors-with-dementia
-  https://dailycaring.com/6-ways-to-figure-out-if-traveling-with-dementia-will-work/
-  https://alzlive.com/spirit/travel/top-hotels/
-  https://www.aarp.org/travel/vacation-ideas/family/info-2021/tips-for-traveling-with-relative-with-dementia.html
-  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/dementia-activities
-  https://www.leisurecare.com/resources/dementia-travel-tips/
-  https://www.expedia-aarp.com/blog/tips-traveling-someone-dementia/
-  https://www.bridgesbyepoch.com/2020/06/04/happy-trails-guide-summer-travel-seniors-dementia-1591279721/
-  https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiver-resources/articles/dementia-activities
-  https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2022/1100/letter-dementia-air-travel.html
-  https://www.caringseniorservice.com/blog/dementia-friendly-cruises
-  https://www.whereyoulivematters.org/summer-safety-for-memory-care/
-  https://www.anthemmemorycare.com/blog/including-a-loved-one-with-dementia-on-your-vacation
-  https://www.wintergrowthinc.org/tips-for-traveling-with-a-loved-one-who-has-dementia/
-  https://seniorsafetyadvice.com/christmas-activities-for-seniors-with-dementia/
-  https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-blog/2022/august/navigating-travel-with-someone-who-has-dementia
-  https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2021-08-05/travel-safety-tips-people-dementia